Here are my top 5 productivity and collaboration apps for use on Android phones and tablets.
- Evernote (documenting, sharing, storing files, lists, clippings)
- Nozbe (to do list, collaboration of tasks, interface with Evernote)
- Dropbox (sharing, storing files)
- Google Drive (sharing, storing files)
- Slack (communication, collaboration, sharing)
There are similarities between some of these tools. Google Drive and Dropbox are essentially the same thing and there are aspects of Evernote and Slack and Nozbe that overlap a lot.
These are all mature tools now (August 2015) and all run well on Android devices having all benefited from elements of the ‘material’ design which has focused the UX designer on trying to achieve a balance between information and clutter.
They are all free to try: slack and Evernote are free but evernote can be upgraded to a premium version, Google Drive and Dropbox can also be free but you do need to pay if you want to use more than a small amount of data, Nozbe is free if you only want a tiny number of projects but for unlimited projects you do need to purchase a full registration.
Future blogs will dive into how I use each of these and how you can set them up to serve your needs well.